How to Apply for Benefits
The Texas Workforce Commission provides a great deal of information for those who are unemployed and need to apply for unemployment benefits in Texas. In addition to general news about unemployment in the state, the Commission offers answers to frequently asked questions, methods for applying for benefits online, telephone numbers to call with questions, forms and guides to follow when applying for unemployment benefits, and much more.
To reach the Texas Workforce Commission Tele-Center directly, you can call 1-800-939-6631. Hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., Central Time. For the Commission's Tele-Serv, call 1-800-558-8321 between 7:00 A.M. and 6:00 P.M. Central time - offices are available from Monday - Friday. For a complete tutorial on how to apply for unemployment benefits in Texas, see this PDF guide to the application process.
Applying for Benefits Online
You may also apply for unemployment benefits online by logging on to the state's Unemployment Benefits Services website. If you do not already have an account, you will need to first create one in order to submit and track your unemployment application online.
Here is the information you will need to apply for benefits:
- Your last employer's business name and full address
- The first and last dates (including month, day, and year) you worked for your last employer
- The number of hours you worked and rate of pay if you worked during the current week, including Sunday
- Information related to your normal wage rate
- Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen or national)